- 1 cup grated Green Bell Pepper Pepper
- 1 cup graded Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 cup graded Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1/2 cup graded Orange Bell Pepper
- 3 cups grated pickling cucumber (6 to 8 pickles)
- 1 cup minced or grated sweet onion (about 1 medium)
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar, divided
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes (use more if you want more spice then sweet)
Combine graded bell peppers, cucumbers, and onion in a large, non-reactive (stainless steel or enamel-coated) pot. Stir in one cup of apple cider vinegar and bring to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have cooked down and the liquid is reduced by about 1/3, about 30 minutes. Drain the vegetables, discard liquid.
Add remaining one cup vinegar, sugar and the spices and give a good stir, desolving the sugar before returning the vegetables to the pot. Mix together and bring back to to a simmer and cook for five minutes. Remove pot from heat.
Fill jars, wipe rims, apply lids and rings. Process as normal; in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes (starting time when pot returns to a boil). Remove jars from pot and let cool on a towel-lined countertop.