Friday, August 31, 2012

Spicy Sweet Potato Hummus


Adapted from 'My New Roots' and 'Whole Family Fare'
Yields 3-4 cups of hummus (a lot!)

Ingredients:
• 2 medium sweet potatoes
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 cups chickpeas
• 3 tablespoons tahini
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled
• juice of 1 lemon
• zest of 1/2 lemon
• 1 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
• 1/4 teaspoon cumin

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake the sweet potatoes on the middle oven rack or in a baking dish for 45 minutes to an hour. They should yield to a gentle squeeze when they’re done baking.
2. While the sweet potatoes are cooling, toss all of the other ingredients into a food processor. Once the sweet potatoes have cooled enough to handle, use a knife or your fingers to peel the skin off of them. Add the sweet potatoes to the food processor.
3. Blend well, and serve! I garnished mine with a light sprinkle of cayenne pepper and sesame seeds.


*Salt-Free - I do not use salt in my of my cooking. For those whom like things a little more on the salty side the recipes I adapted this from used 'Salt to Taste' measurements.

No comments:

Post a Comment